Monday, July 6, 2009

The Fourth Of July


This past weekend was perfect. We have been blessed with GREAT weather since we've been in Ketchikan. We had three days of sunshine and the temperature almost reached 80 degrees. My back began to feel better (see the fish blog) and we were ready to have a good, ol' fashioned 4th.

It began with me being off work, Friday the 3rd. So I went fishing for a half a day (so nice) and then we headed to town for First Friday and the opening of the Mainstreet Art Gallery. It was nice to see the galleries open late, just like in Missoula.


Saturday morning we got up early, made some espresso and watched Stage 1 of Le Tour de France. Then we were off for town and the Fourth of July Parade. The whole town was lined up to see the floats. Even the cruise ship passengers got excited as the classic cars and patriotic floats passed by. It has been many years since I've been to see a parade and it brought me back in time to the little parades we used to have in Sunnymead. For an hour and a half we could've been in Anytown, USA.



We got back to Clover Pass in time for their Annual, July 4th Fish Fry. It was all-you-could-eat Halibut, Salmon, sides and desserts. Yum, yum, yum! Later on we were serenaded to sleep with the sounds of bottle rockets and Roman candles, again reminding me of my younger years.



So I think it was a nice birthday celebration for our country, as seen from the perspective of the residents of our 49th state, which is celebrating its 50th birthday this year. I hope everyone out there enjoyed their 4th, too!


Our Front Porch!

No comments: