Monday, July 13, 2009

Adios Amigos!


People come and people go, but maybe not as much as in Alaska. It seems everyone is here just temporarily. Some come up to work and others to play. In the 5 weeks that we've been here we've met many people, but two sets of new friends have already come and gone. First there were the Tripp men. They were in the C-class across from us at Clover Pass. From the first day, we knew we would be buddies. You see, Don and his sons JR and Gary are up from Lolo, Montana. Yes, they're our neighbors alright. It was surprising, but nice, to meet others who were from your neck of the woods way up here. We quickly became friends, Susan became our Taxi to town (both for the guys and for me) and we truly enjoyed hanging out with them. They taught me how to saltwater fish and for that I am so grateful. Thanks guys for taking me out on your boat! I just wish I'd landed that 40 pounder!

Ketchikan General is a rural hospital in rural Alaska (is there anything else other than rural up here?) And because of the remoteness of the area, has to rely on travelers to fill its roster of PT's, OT's and Speech therapists. So needless to say, I am only one of several travelers here. Travelers are an adventurous bunch who tend to live in the moment and take advantage of their setting to maximize their experience. I got to know a traveling couple by the names of Damon and Megan. In only a few weeks I got to know this very sweet couple who have set off to travel the USA (and the world) together. I can see a little of Susan and I in the two of them and it was super fun working next to them at the hospital. I especially enjoyed Damon's sense of humor and infectious laugh, and I loved taking over Megan's small inpatient gym with my outpatient twice a week. We had a lovely send off last Friday night and we wish them a wonderful life together.

So Cheers to both sets of friends and hopefully our paths will cross again. Until then, take care and know that we have fond memories of all of you.


1 comment:

Nadia said...

Hi you two. Glad you're making friends fast enough to have good bye parties. I loved your CSA and totem pole posts, Susan. When is Tom coming to visit? Keep the posts coming. All's well down here though nothing more notable than the Blackfoot. When last I was in Libby the Kootnai was in full sturgeon flush and it was impressed upon me by the locals that it was not a river to play with. Funny, but a week later I was told the same thing about the river in Spokane ...

Miss you both. Nadia