Thursday, July 2, 2009

Coming Full Circle

Because we live on an island in the middle of the Inside Passage where the humidity is decadent and rain is considered a close, personal friend, the produce here in Ketchikan has to be shipped in (and I literally mean "shipped"). And having grown up in, and then proceeding to gravitate to living in, sunny locales where "jalapeno pepper" and "navel orange" are considered normal eats and not some exotic requests from a cheechako (newcomer), Erik and I jumped at the chance (ok, I think I even might have pushed someone out of the way) to be able to participate in the one and only CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program.
For those who don't know or haven't heard of CSA's, OH MY GOD get out there and SIGN UP! This is the best thing since sliced bread! Basically, and in the words of the Local Harvest website who will do a much better job explaining this than I ever will, a CSA is a "popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer. Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season. "

Our CSA is with Full Circle Farm in Carnation, WA and all I can say is I owe them my life because, if not for them and their lovely floatplane, I would be suffering for 4 long months and living on canned tomatoes and frozen green beans (I shudder just thinking about it!). The highlight of my week is picking up my box and ripping it open to touch, feel and smell all of the luscious, juicy, ripe gems that they were kind enough to send my way. I swear it's like Christmas, and I have a ritual of pulling out all of the fruits and veggies, laying them out across my counter, admiring them and then coming up with recipes and meal ideas for the week. And one of the best parts of being involved in this is that we've been given produce that I would never think to go out and buy. As much as I try to avoid it, I will admit that we always seem to gravitate to the fruits and veggies that we know and love whether I am planting my own garden or shopping at my local farmers market. With our CSA, we've had the chance to try pluots, baby bok choy, and rainbow chard and all at their seasonal best.

I am now, more than ever, looking forward to watching the progression of summer and that lovely, slow slide into autumn and seeing it all play out in the brown, waxed box of goodness coming my way each week.




1 comment:

Susan and Erik said...

Nice post Baby! And your baby bok choy and beet salad the other night was Dee-Lish.