Saturday, September 6, 2008

I Live In The Mecca Of Cycling!

Yes folks, it's true.

I knew that the Gold Country was rich in history and the topography lends itself to cycling, but when I arrived at Coffee Republic at ten 'til 9 this morning, you would've thought that I had come to a race venue or cycling convention. The entire parking lot was full of cyclists and their cars and riders were riding in from all directions. "Whoa," I thought, "this must be a popular ride."

I heard about this ride from locals Wyatt and Jay, both Placerville-based, former racers, and the two guys I've been riding with. Funny, but neither of them have expressed much interest in doing this ride...hmm.

So it turns out that the "Coffee Republic Ride" as it is known, is described by bikecal.com as a moderately paced ride with "some rollers and Indian Hill for a total of 30 to 40 miles." Sounded perfect to me! Well after we rolled out and I started chatting with some of the guys, seems this ride has morphed into more of a "race-training ride" complete with fast pace lines, even faster attacks and a couple of bigger climbs. And there were teams of guys (and gals) present. I saw Webcor/Alto Velo, Rio Strada, Team City (City Bicycle Works-Sacramento), Victory Velo (Auburn) and Ophir Milan (Women's). You know that I was representing Montana with my Team Stampede/Five Valley Velo kit!

California is the mass of humanity, but it is also diversity, and surprisingly, tolerance. We have literally hundreds of deserted miles here in the Sierra foothills. So the 60+ riders today headed out for an always the same, 50 miler that rivaled the Tuesday night Hell Ride in Missoula that I'd come to love over the past several years. I finally felt a little of home out on the road today. We raced, we climbed and at times I thought I wasn't going to make it! But I survived and hung with the lead group. Oh, and for the other cyclists out there in webland, We climbed about 3000 feet and our average pace was 21.3 mph over the distance. The last 18 miles were at just under 25 mph. And my HR was maxed several times. Whew!

Okay, some casual (or not so casual) observations of the racing scene:
1) The groups are HUGE compared to Montana.
2) Everyone is good! Even the wimpy looking guys are strong.
3) Everyone in DARK tan. It's unreal.
4) There is a race (or three) every weekend.

So there you have it. As you can tell, I'm pleased to say the least. I do miss riding with my teammates in good 'ol Missoula, but I couldn't ask for a much better place to spend my time away from home.

~E~

2 comments:

Alison Hanks said...

I think you should start running those hundreds of miles in the foothills. I bet there are trails too. :)

Susan and Erik said...

Hey Alison. I was just thinking about all of the trails here in the Sierra Nevada's and how I'd love to run them...and then you commented. Remember Cle Elum 50K back in 2005? I had such a blast running that with you and I miss doing the big miles up in the mountains. Will I ever see that again?