Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Adventure Begins

On August 9, 2008 I got into my truck and took off. My first destination: Placerville, California. I've had the itch for a while now, to get away. And it boiled up inside of me until I couldn't ignore it anymore. We've always loved the sense of going off into the unknown and although we really love where we live, that longing for change began to get the best of us...



So there I was on a beautiful Saturday morning kissing my tearing wife goodbye and heading south to begin my adventure, our adventure.



Millions of thoughts were racing through my mind: What would my new life be like? Could I live without my wife for a time? Would I meet any nice people? Would I enjoy my work?



Susan is my rock. She is the ground that I stand on and just writing this blog brings tears to my eyes. She is the one thing I miss the most. Next would have to be our three dogs, Riley, Chloe and Daisy. They are a motley crew of mixed breeds that were all rescues, but they are ours and they love us so! And lastly, as those of you who know me, I am a very social creature. How will I fare so far from the place I've called home for the past nine years?



But on the road I use the familiar sounds from my Ipod to settle my nerves and pass the time. At night I study the road map and sleep under the stars and on Sunday I finally arrive at my first destination, a thousand miles from "home."



THIS is the beginning of our travels. Will you come along?

3 comments:

HoosierDaddy said...

Hi guys!! How great. I look forward to keeping up with your travels. Take care and be safe.

Mike

Susan and Erik said...

Thanks Mike. We're excited to get out on the road!

Alison Hanks said...

My blog has the same background. You have good style. I neglect mine, though.