Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Study in Sunrise and Sunset

Good Morning Clovis, NM!

Time passes by quickly.  We have been in New Mexico for over three months now and it seems like only yesterday that we were packing up in Charlotte and heading west.   And now we are down to our last four weeks.  

We have awakened at or before dawn every morning to take the pups out for their morning walk.  During the darkest days, the sun would not even be up fully by the time we got back to the RV.  Now, the sun beats us to it!   It's good that winter is just about over.  It has been a particularly tough one.  A lot tougher than I had even imagined.  The near-constant winds of eastern New Mexico and West Texas tested our resolve.  Frozen water lines and a constant sand-blasting have hardened us plenty.  I can now see why the folks that chose to live in the "tougher" parts of the U.S. don't tend to fuss much, nor do they take  $#*!  from no one.

Clovis is part of the Great Plains,  I guess. It's flat and covered with grass, cacti and bullheads.  It's dry.   I'll bet we've only had an inch or two of rain so far this winter.  Clovis is remote.   I feel like we've been wandering out in the Sahara all this time, wondering how to go home.

So I watch the sun rise and I watch it set.   I greet every day and I say goodbye to every day the same, by watching the sky.  It started with our first night in Clovis and it will be that way on our last night.   But by doing this I have fallen in love with the New Mexican sky.  It is beautiful and ever changing.   It reminds me of our own Big Sky Country that is Montana.   It is a 360 degree panoramic wonderful that makes me gasp in awe more times than not.   It is truly and by far, my favorite thing about Clovis, NM.

So here are a few shots of our southwestern skies.  I hope that you enjoy them!




















No comments: